Thursday, March 17, 2016

Tasting - Peter Mertes Sweet Red Dornfelder


Name: Peter Mertes Sweet Red
Variety: Dornfelder
Region: Mosel
Country: Germany
Year: 2014
Price: Regular-$12 Sale-$6.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "The trademark German red grape varietal Dornfelder has a lovely purity of soft red berry fruit. Integrated soft tannins combined with forward fruit flavors make for a perfectly balanced everyday sipping wine. Great with grilled red meat, sausage, and chicken, Best served slightly chilled." Vintage Cellar

My Review: This wine didn't have much of an aroma to it like some of the previous wines of today's tasting had, but it was a nice subtlety. If I were to pull anything out of it it would be something like cherries, cherry pie, marshmallows, or something of that sort. This wine, as stated straight on the bottle in bold letters, was very sweet, but not overpowerfully so, and I really enjoyed this! There was very little alcohol taste in it and the only reason I could tell that this was a wine and not straight cherry juice cocktail (if that's a thing, of course) was that there was a bit of tannic structure to it, which made it tart like an actual cherry, which I thought was pretty unique! I sometimes bash sweet wines even though I secretly love them, but I'll give this one an applause. I really enjoyed the taste even if there was no prominent bouquet. Nice job Peter Mertes, I don't think I've had a wine from them I haven't even slightly disliked yet (can they beat my love for California's Dark Horse? Probably!) Would definitely buy again as a nice table wine.

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment