Thursday, March 31, 2016

Tasting - Carraia

Name: Carraia
Variety: Aglianico
Region: Campagna
Country: Italy
Year: 2013
Price: Regular $15 Sale $9.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "Produced in the Campania region of Italy, this Aglianico has delicious black fruit flavors with hints of licorice, volcanic soil, and tar notes. Classic in nature, yet in a lighter, more crowd-pleasing style, the Carraia is made of the ancient Aglianico grape. This black grape originated in Greece and today is widely grown in Basilicata and Campania." Vintage Cellar

My review: The aromas of this wine were definitely more old world in its style. It had a dirt and mushrooms smell, maybe more specifically forest floor or something pithy and fibrous. It was a bit stenchy, but that's something I feel I will come to appreciate over time instead of leaning toward all those fruit flavors. I find it interesting and yet I'm never sure I was to drink it right away, but it is getting more easy with time and I'm actually starting to find it fun to smell. There was definitely something else there too and I'm guessing Vintage Cellar's description of "tar" might have been it. I just couldn't put my finger on it. The taste was dry and had a bit of a sour cherry flavor to it as well as an earthy wild berry taste (like the ones that are actually wild, not the produced ones that say they're wild). Wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I could see it going extremely well with some good food!

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment