Sunday, March 6, 2016

Tasting - Dona Sol Sweet Red


Name: Dona Sol Sweet Red
Variety: Shiraz, Petite Syrah, & Symphony
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: Unknown-Non-Vintage?
Price: $6.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "Shiraz has a unique jammy fruit character that is well represented in the Sweet Red. Both in the nose and on the palate, jammy fruit, like strawberries, cherry pie and red licorice, entices the senses and pair well with cheeses and desserts." Vintage Cellar

My Review: Interesting smell that is very unique to this Sweet Red wine. A bit like pure almonds, strawberry, specifically the leaf of strawberries. I was excited to try this! Upon tasting this I was kind of taken back. This was way sweet. Not the kind of sweet that belongs to the wine, but like extra sugar was added in right before putting it on the shelf. It just didn't work together. The wine was dry, but overly sweet. Very weird. Not sure in what situation I would want this wine. It seriously was like someone stuck a Kool-Aid packet into a red wine. I just didn't get it I guess.

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment