Friday, March 25, 2016

Tasting - Georges Duboef Nouveau

Name: Georges Duboeuf
Variety: Nouveau
Region: Beaujolais
Country: France
Year: 2015
Price: Regular $12 Sale $5.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: " George Duboeuf is THE king of Beaujolais. His wines are full of pop, charm, and great flavor and his Beaujolais Nouveau is no exception. A cornucopia of expressive fruit wrapped in an almost-bubblegum-like frame; is is the flagship Nouveau." Vintage Cellar

My Review: Let's talk about the wine label. Whoa. Talk about bold and crazy. My first thought toward something like this was that it'd taste cheap and fall flat of any expectations I had. Consider me wrong, friends. Don't judge a wine by its label, I suppose. This red was fantastic. The aromas of this wine were decadent. It smelled of cherry pie filling and mixed berries. I wanted a flaky crust to pop up next to me so I could pour this all over it. Of course sometimes with smells like these you end up getting super sweet bubbly moscato-type wines. Again, I was proven wrong. This wine was dry. It actually shocked me a bit because I wasn't expecting it at all. It had a medium mouthfeel and retained some of those berry flavors without being sweet. This would have been an awesome wine with a steak dinner or something, to be honest! (Just hide the bottle if the establishment is a bit fancy, of course.) What a crazy experience this wine gave me. Pure greatness, I really want to go back and buy this one!

This wine was tasted at Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment