Friday, March 25, 2016

Tasting - Maipe Torrontes

Name: Maipe Chakana Wines
Variety: Torrontes
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2014
Price: Regular $14 Sale $7.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "The wine has a spring-like nose of fresh white peaches, pears, green apple, green melon, and hints of jasmine and rose petals. On the palate, it has a beautiful structure and acidity along with fruit flavors and plenty of body. Well-balanced, this wine displays a pleasant freshness with citrus notes and a long finish." Vintage Cellar

My Review: I was told before tasting this wine that this particular grape only grows in this region of Argentina and nowhere else in the world, so of course that made it seem super special and exciting and I was ready to try something new here! The aromas were unique, for sure. It exploded like a botanical garden. I definitely took take out the jasmine mentioned in the wine shop review, but it also had a slight beer smell. Not sure where that came from, not overly powerful, but something that was subtle in my mind. Interestingly enough there was almost no acidity to this wine and was very smooth and medium bodied. I wasn't a huge fan of the explosion of violets and honeysuckle and jasmine in my mouth, but that's a preference thing. I don't like the taste of floral, although some other people might. I would pass, personally, but may recommend it still to someone who I think might like this style.

This wine was tasted as Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment