Thursday, March 17, 2016

Tasting - Castello Sonnino


Name: Castello Sonnino
Variety: Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Trebbiano, and Malvasia del Chiani
Region: Chinati
Country: Italy
Year: 2010
Price: Regular-$15 Sale-$8.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "A blend of Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Trebbiano, and Malvasia del Chianti. Rich and modern with a dark, saturated color and aromas of graham cracker and lemon rind. A juicy palate packed with plum and raspberry is carried by a creamy texture that's rather toasty in terms of flavor. The finish is round, full, and chocolaty.

My Review: Smells extremely alcoholic. And medicine-like. NyQuil to be exact. Very interesting. Not really sure I'm liking it so far. Beyond this medicine smell I actually smell a large piece of lumber or sawdust or something like that. I just got through pruning and cutting branches off a lot of trees before this tasting, so the smell was definitely there and recognizable beyond the medicine smell. The flavor was maybe raspberry or blackberry (hey I finally agree with the review today!) and was very dry with a light mouthfeel. It wasn't too terrible actually. I expected worse with the smell and expected a bit of heat, but I didn't really get that with this wine so that's good. Probably wouldn't purchase, but I don't think I would refuse it if it were given to me for free either.

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment