Thursday, March 17, 2016

Tasting - Aveleda Praia


Name: Praia
Variety: 40% Arinto, 30% Loureiro, 20% Trajadura, and 10% Azal
Region: Vinho Verde-Aveleda
Country: Portugal
Year: 2013
Price: Regular-$10 Sale-$8.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "A blend of 40% Arinto, 30% Loureiro, 20% Trajadura, and 10% Azal. Full of fruit, a lasting peach flavor targeted with laserlike acidity through the finish. It has the bite of salty ocea air and a lot of zing. For langoustines. 92 points." -Wine & Spirits

My Review: This wine had a bouquet of fresh citrus fruits, especially lemon and a pool/chlorine smell that wasn't too bad, but gave it a "fresh" bouquet. Beneath this exterior I could definitely pick up an aroma of apricots. The feel of this wine in the mouth sure was zingy to say the least! It made my mouth pucker a bit and reminded me of those sour punch straws I use to eat as a kid-almost exclusively like that! Very acidic, but very light. I thought it was interesting, but very powerful and took me by surprise! I would probably give this wine a go again.

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment