Friday, March 25, 2016

Tasting - Crane Lake Shiraz

Name: Crane Lake
Variety: Shiraz
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "Beautiful ruby appearance, with blackberry and pepper notes. Tannins and fruit marry well for a soft finish. This wine pairs well with sharp cheddar cheese and hazelnuts. Also try it along with roast lamb at Easter time, veal marsala, or grilled salmon." Vintage Cellar

My Review: So we meet again, Crane Lake. It seems like the Vintage Cellar really likes pushing Crane Lake wines, I see them so often, and I usually brace myself instead of getting giddy about it or anything. This wine had aromas of...stench. I mean, it had great forest floor notes and black pepper and stones, but there was also something like, oh I don't know, dirty laundry or sweaty socks or something, which was a bit of a turn off on the nose. The taste of the wine was dry and light. It wasn't too terrible, but I didn't see anything too qualifying with it. It definitely needed to be had with food too, so I guess I could reassess then, but as a stand alone I would pass. It may actually just be a bit old world for drinking alone.

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment