Saturday, February 6, 2016

Tasting - Yellow Tail Cabernet/Merlot


Name: Yellow Tail
Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Blend
Region: Casella
Country: Australia
Year: 2014
Price: Regular- $15 Sale- $4.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "Bursting with ripe blackberry fruit. Bold flavors from the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot create a perfect blend of fruit with a hint of spice." -Yellow Tail

My Review: I'm so sad the description didn't key in on the first thing I smelled in this wine: chocolate! A very decadent, rich chocolate covered cherry vibe hit me first and foremost. We were so sure that this wine would make the perfect pair for some sort of chocolate cake or something. When I tasted it, the flavors were a bit tannic and dry, but not too bitter or anything. The only thing that really left me hanging with this wine was the heavy cherry aftertaste. Like, a lot of cherry. I don't like cherries that much, so I'll leave it at that personally. If I knew someone who liked cherries and were looking for a good red wine I'd definitely hook them up with this blend, but I don't think I could drink it again, personally.

This tasting was done at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment