Friday, February 26, 2016

Tasting - Tonnino Syrah


Name: Tonnino
Variety: Syrah
Region: Sicily
Country: Italy
Year: 2013
Price: Regular-$14.00 Sale-$7.95

Shop/wine shop/winery review: "An intense red color. Aromas of violet and blackcurrant enriched by hints of licorice and black pepper. In the mouth, it is full, round, slightly tannic and with a spicy note on the finish." - Vintage Cellar

My review: This falls under that "butter, copper, and cherries" category for me. It's a distinct smell that I've been getting from a lot of wines that use black currant as their descriptor. I feel like I should really pick up black currant to see what that actually smells like! It's not a bad or a good smell for me, but it is pretty distinct in a lot of red wines such as this Syrah. Underlying this smell was a sweet mixed berry smell as well, which was pleasant enough. Upon tasting this wine I experienced its high tannins-it was pretty dry, actually. The flavors that came through for me were pencil shaving and an intense earthiness. That sounds bad, but it actually had a cool complexity to it that would probably be great with certain foods. I wouldn't really want it again by itself, but would love some meat with it!

This was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment