Friday, February 19, 2016

Tasting - Codirosso Chianti


Name: Cordirosso Chianti
Variety: Sangiovese
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2014
Price: Regular-$13 Sale-7.95

Wine critic/wine shop/winery review: "Ruby red color with purple reflections. Intense vinous bouquet with hints of violets and dark cherry fruit. The flavor is full of ripe fruit and a hint of spice. It is well balanced and dry. The finish is persistent and satisfying." Vintage Cellar

My Review: This wine had a bit of a similar aroma to the Indwe Pinotage, with some slight differences. I'm sure if they were placed next to each other and I was smelling between them then there would be more of a significant difference, but the subtleties were in that buttery creamy smell, which in this wine was a bit more specifically like blueberry pie in my opinion, and that copper smell in this wine held more a rubbing alcohol type of harshness to it, which makes for quite an interesting mix of aromas. Not sure if they balanced each other out or not. It wasn't terrible, but I'm leaning toward a no for complementing each other. The taste of this wine was slightly dry, but very vegetal. With an emphasis on summer vegetables. No, let's go further, more like green beans. It was definitely straight green beans to me. I think that's something I would just have to get used to and it may be great with certain dishes, but I doubt I'd ever want this wine by itself again. It was quite a flavor journey, though, so I will give it a 10 on complexity! Funny how different my review is from the experts, but it's what I experienced. See blog subtitle above ;)

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment