Friday, February 26, 2016

Tasting - Crane Lake White Zinfandel


Name: Crane Lake
Variety: White Zinfandel
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "Light pink wine with floral and tropical aromas: flavors of strawberry, peach, and raspberry with a touch of sweetness. This wine is an easy sipping wine that also pairs well with a wide variety of foods ranging from crab cakes or pate to spicy Asian dishes, glazed ham, and grilled sea bass." - Vintage Cellar

My review: When I came in and saw a third Crane Lake wine, I was hesitant. The first one I had from them wasn't great, and that monstrosity of a beer wine last week was, well read the rant below, plain terrible. But when I found out this was a white zinfandel I figured Crane Lake couldn't lead me too far astray. It's dessert in a bottle and if you mess up straight sugar, then you've got some real deep thinking to do with your wine business (just kidding, my opinion actually means nothing). Anyways. The aromas were good. Nothing super specific that jumped at me but I definitely got hints of strawberry and cool whip. Like a strawberry shortcake! Yum. Upon tasting the wine, it was what I expected from a white zinfandel. Sweet, sweet, sweet dessert. And heavy, like corn syrup. Not what most people would want from dinner, but from a girl with a sweet tooth, I'd say it would be awesome on its own as a dessert wine!

This wine was tasted at Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment