Sunday, April 24, 2016

Tasting - Oasis del Cuyo Malbec

Name: Oasis del Cuyo
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2012
Price: Regular $12 Sale $6.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "Deep ruby color. Appealing red fruit nose with hints of tobacco. Medium bodied with a smooth and lush mouth-feel. Finishes dry with lasting flavors. Excellent choice for a young and fruity everyday wine. Enjoy as an aperitif or with meats and pasta dishes." Vintage Cellar

My review: This was a really interesting smelling wine. It has a "wet basement" component to it along with what I actually thought was the slightest smell of bourbon, as if it had been aged in old bourbon barrels for a small amount of time. Maybe after hitting most of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail a few weeks ago I can just pick up that aroma much more easily. It's interesting that after smelling something specific like that time after time you can actually begin picking it up in other places, especially with wines! This wine tasted extremely dry and young, probably one of the more dry wines I've ever tried. It was peppery with blackberry and cedar box flavors. I was curious as to what tobacco even tasted like because I don't know, but there was an extra flavor in there that I was guessing was tobacco from just kind of guessing around. Very interesting wine-I'd like to try it with a meat dish, that's for sure. Too strong for just sipping for me!

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment