Thursday, April 7, 2016

Tasting - Fetzer Gewurztraminer

Name: Fetzer
Variety: Gewurztraminer
Region: Monterey County, California
Country: United States
Year: 2014
Price: Regular $12 Sale $8.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "A rainy minerality on the nose of this sweet wine manages to cut through the sugared oranges, honeysuckle, and ripe, tropical white fleshed fruit, from peach to cherimoya. The palate is full of honeyed apples, white peach and pineapple, but the decent acidity and chalky element stops it short of treacly. 87 points." Wine Enthusiast

My review: Oh no. A Gewurztraminer. If any of you actually took the time out to read my previous experience with Gewurztraminer and had a good laugh at my expense, you'd know that I would be very cautious about the next one. But then again, I tried Crane Lake's other 3 wines and hated them too, so hopefully it's just the winery. Thankfully, I was correct. This was surprisingly good! Turns out I hate Crane Lake, not Gewurztraminer. I would like to take a second to time out and apologize to the grape. Sorry, G. Anyways. This wine in particular had a floral and tropical fruit smell which I really enjoyed. The taste of was wine had some acidity to it which is great. This really avoids that flabby taste in the last Gewurztraminer I had. The taste of passion fruit was there and it wasn't rotten this time. It was good. It was sweet like apple juice with a bit of dryness to it just enough to make it a wine and not a juice. I thought this was great and have changed my mind about the G-word.

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment