Thursday, April 7, 2016

Tasting - Mapreco Vinho Verde

Name: Mapreco
Variety: Alvarinho, Arinto, Loureiro, and Trajadura (Rose)
Region: Vinho Verde
Country: Portugal
Year: 2015
Price: Regular $10 Sale $7.95

Shop/wine critic/winery review: "The cherry color reveals a slightly fizzy wine that is a very fruitful rose made from the traditional Vinho Verde white grapes. Adding a splash of red to offer flavors with notes of strawberry, cherry, and berries. A delightful twist on the original." Vintage Cellar

My Review: So this is going to sound...funky. The first word that popped into my head when I smelled this wine was "snakes." Don't ask me why. I don't believe I've ever picked one up and smelled it before. So this may have possibly been the smell of a snake skin purse, but I had a friend back me up and say, "No this actually smells like the amphibian and reptile section of a zoo, but in a good way." In a good way indeed. This was like a wet leather amphibian kind of smell, I suppose, but it was backed up by some magnificent aromas of strawberries and cream and french vanilla coffee creamer. OH yum. The tastes were a mixture of sweet on the start and sour on the back end. It was a light bodied wine with a raspberry and grapefruit taste. I loved this wine a lot and I would definitely recommend it!

This wine was tasted at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment